Re: Pop Rivet Removal

To: bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Pop Rivet Removal
From: GLCurley@aol.com
Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2005 09:47:20 EDT
I never heard of taking those panels off just to rust-proof and check brake
lines.  Is it really necessary?  They were originally both riveted and glued,
and you have to be extemely careful removing the lower panels from the acrylic.
 If you have to take them off, it's more important to avoid cracking or
damaging the acrylic fenders since the lower panels are more or less
disposable.
There is nothing special or authentic about the lower panels and Terry makes
new ones out of fibreglass down at his shop (technically, John L. manufactures
them.).  My lower fender and body side panels got slightly damaged in the
infamous "runaway trailer incident"  and it was easier to just put new ones on.

George Curley (#670, 220)