1100's, New British Roadster?

To: british-cars@Alliant.COM
Subject: 1100's, New British Roadster?
From: mit-eddie!tcgould.TN.CORNELL.EDU!garnett@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Roger Garnett)
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 90 08:05:41 EST
As long as were going into the details of the 1100 series, lets not forget
a couple more badge clones- the Riley and (I think) the Wosley 1100's.
Not a real common car in the US these days, due in large part to a *larger
than normal* propensity to rust. The hydroelastic suspension was their main
claim to fame. I believe the system linked the front right to L.R, and F.L. to
R.R. wheels, in an attempt to balance things when cornering.
        Garry A. What was that comment about making MG Magnettes through
1968 ????. Isn't the last year around 60-61?
        Speaking of 1100's, I make a last plea for an 1098 crank (large mains)
or complete 1275 setup (cheap :-) ) for my Sprite. The last sheet rock and
wiring goes up in Roger's Garage [SLCFWSC] this weekend, then it's time to
"set up shop" ;-) . I can get a crank and bearing kit from FASPEC for $250.
Which isn't too bad, it's just that I paid less for the car...
        Ah! a 'nother comment from Rover 'bout making a new MG roadster
for the American market. They have been saying this, complete with sketches,
and at least one nice looking concept car for the last 10 years. But the time
may be right. (or a little late?) There are more and more comments about the
British car industry needing to export cars, and compete with the Japanese.
They aren't the only ones with possible roadsters either. Nissan was roumered
to be considering a ragtop version of the 240ZX. Honda has commented on a
chopped CRX or the likes. (which wouldn't be much different than the Rover
idea). Seeing as how the luxury car market is so soft, mayby it's time for
fun stuff. We'll still be able to buy multiple "Old British Cars" for the
price of anything they come up with!!!!! (Yea, that's the ticket, time
to build a new 10, no, 20, no, 50 bay lock-up!)
   ________
  /___  _  \        Roger Garnett           (garnett@tcgould.TN.CORNELL.EDU)
 /|   ||  \ \       Agricultural Economics   | The All New:
| |___||  _  |      3 Warren Hall            | South Lansing Centre For
| | \  |   | |      Cornell University       | Wayward Sports Cars
 \|  \ |__/ /       Ithaca, N.Y. 14853       | (607) 533-7735
  \________/        (607) 255-2522           | SAFETY FAST!