Re: Trip to England

To: british-cars@Alliant.COM
Subject: Re: Trip to England
From: mit-eddie!harvard!hsi.com!archer@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Garry Archer)
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 90 09:26:47 EST
Ralph E. Droms writes:
> Looks like I'm going to spend a few days in England at the end of the
> month.  Our itinerary calls for us to land at Gatwick, rent a car,
> drive to Henley-on-Thames and then Reading.  This will be my first
> experience with driving in England, so can any of you give me quick
> tips or impressions on how to adapt to RHS driving and recommendations
> about rental cars (e.g., how do I avoid getting the British equivalent
> of a Pinto)?  Any other words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated!
>
> - Ralph

Well, Ralph, you couldn't have timed your question any better!

Look for the April 1990 issue of "British Car".  It has all kinds of tips
and information for travellers in the British Isles.  It explains some of
the driving habits of the Brits, describes some of the road signs, explains
(basically) what to do at roundabouts, and so on.  There is a second article
regarding customs of the Brits (called "A Yank in King Arthur's Court").
Further, a third article on auto related museums in the U.K. *and* the U.S.

It offers tips on car rental, where to pick up a copy of "The Highway Code"
here in America and where to get tourist information.

The issue in question has a red MGB on the cover sporting a new body shell
from British Motor Heritage.

Good luck!!!!

PS:  Watch out for the "jam butty wagons" with the "knick-knick" lights!

(Motorway police have white cars, Rovers or Jags usually, with a reflective
yellow and red band down the length of the car.  They look like strawberry
jam sandwiches -- a jam butty!  To be arrested in England is to be "knicked".
"Knick-knick was a term coined by a British comedian to describe the sound of
an imaginary light on the top of a policeman's hat (Bobby's helmet) during
pursuit and arrest of criminals in a farcial send-up of British policemen.
The frequency of knick-knick increases as the pursuit and arrest climaxes.
Really funny --- but, you have to be there, I suppose....)

Garry Archer Esq.       {noao, yale, uunet}!hsi!archer  -OR-  archer@hsi.com
Health Systems International,           New Haven, Connecticut, U.S.A.

"An Englishman never enjoys himself, except for a noble purpose." - A.P.Herbert