re: Trip to England

To: "bellcore!mit-eddie!alliant!british-cars"@EDDIE.MIT.EDU
Subject: re: Trip to England
From: mit-eddie!bellcore!pyuxe!whs70@EDDIE.MIT.EDU
Date: 12 Mar 1990 9:23 EST

>Looks like I'm going to spend a few days in England at the end of the
>month.  Our itinerary calls for us to land at Gatwick, rent a car,
>drive to Henley-on-Thames and then Reading.  This will be my first
>experience with driving in England, so can any of you give me quick
>tips or impressions on how to adapt to RHS driving and recommendations
>about rental cars (e.g., how do I avoid getting the British equivalent
>of a Pinto)?  Any other words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated!
>
>- Ralph

Having driven in several right-hand drive countries (Gibralter,
Australia) you'll generally have no problem with the different
orientation as long as other vehicles are around.  During my
16 day vacation in Australia in '88, the only time I "forgot"
was one morning after pulling out of a gasoline station in
the country.  My kids were acting as kids often do and there
wasn't another vehicle on the road at all.  In the midst of
yelling at the kids to pipe down, I pulled out onto the road
and began driving on the right lane.  About a quarter mile
down the road, I spotted an oncoming car & quickly realized my
error and moved to the left lane.

I've had other friends say they put a small sign on the dash
noard to remind them each time they get into the car.
Bottom line, you'll likely have no problem as long as you
take it slow and steady.  Actually, you might be better
off with an English Pinto equivalent for the first time.

Bill Sohl