Re: am I nuts? (VTR in Boulder)

To: Alliant.COM!british-cars@acsu.buffalo.edu
Subject: Re: am I nuts? (VTR in Boulder)
From: mit-eddie!hercules.acsu.buffalo.edu!tobin@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Mike Tobin)
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 90 7:42:32 EDT

> Our own Bill Sohl recently posted in rec.autos.driving, about the One
> Lap of America 'rally':
>
>       Especially in a section were a sign had noted that there was NO
>services
>       for the next 108 miles.
>
> This made me stop and take pause. Why? Because I'm seriously planning
> to drive Sarah from Palo Alto to Boulder for the VTR convention (and to
> the Grand Tetons thereafter) in August. I have a long list of things
> that I plan to do to increase her reliability and my faith, but still I
> have to wonder ... am I nuts?
>
> Is anyone else planning such a trek this year? It *seems* like an
> (almost) reasonable thing to do, but

Reminds me of a nice story.
I was crossing one such section in my Jag 420.  It was between Green River
and Salina UT.  NOTHING, but some of the most beautiful scenery in
country.  About 2/3s across I saw a guy in an XJ6 pulled over.  I had to
stop, of course.  He was from Chicago, his first time out west.  He had
seen the "No Services for 100+ Miles" but couldn't believe it was true!
He thought the gas stations in Green River put it up to get people to
buy gas there!  I gave him a lift to Salina and a trucker heading back
east agreed (laughing) to take him to his car.  He's now a believer.

I don't know who or what Sarah is, but when I've made similar treks in
my old Healey I've found a couple of platic jugs of water come in real
handy.  I'm assuming you'll be carrying a survival tool kit (with
circuit tester, of course).

Whatever you do, don't not do it.  My old car trips back and forth
across the divide are the source of most of my best stories.  Stay of
the Interstates when you can, the scenery is incredible.