Re: am I nuts? (VTR in Boulder)

To: uunet!alliant.com!british-cars@uunet.UU.NET
Subject: Re: am I nuts? (VTR in Boulder)
From: mit-eddie!uunet.UU.NET!ssi!coventry!rmb@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Keptin Komrade Dr. Bobwrench III)
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 90 13:52:15 CST
->> Is anyone else planning such a trek this year? It *seems* like an
->> (almost) reasonable thing to do, but
->>
->>->Whatever you do, don't not do it.  My old car trips back and forth
->across the divide are the source of most of my best stories.  Stay of
->the Interstates when you can, the scenery is incredible.
->

        I've done several >1k miles (one way) trips in the TR-6. I however let
my mother talk me out of the N.Y. -> San Francisco drive and have regretted it
ever since. The thought of that long stretch of highway 50 across the high
desert of Utah and Nevada....It's breathtaking.

        as for long trips in a LBC, as mentioned, pack a survival kit. A couple
of gallons of water, servicable spare, and the handfull of oddball things you
have in the garage at home. Like fuel line. It's amazingly useful stuff.

        In '88 when the VTR convention was in Dallas, I drove from Albany ->
Dallas in 2 days. Was a terrific time. Top down the whole way. Started to hear
funny noises from the transmission as I pulled into Dallas. Turned out to be
the gearshift nob had come loose and was rattling! Left the convention Sunday
morning with a caravan of other TR's and headed north to Mineappolis. Spent
a day there visiting, then turned right and came home to Albany. Of course '89
wasn't nearly as long a trip. All of 2 miles....

        Best advice for going to the VTR is to find a troupe of other TR's and h
ang with them. The Oklahoma group came to Albany together, and it's really neat
to be part of 10-15 TR's motoring down a highway together. And you certainly
won't be the only one coming from the bay area...

        Anyway, I've put on about 10K miles of long trips with nary a
dishabilitating problem. Including the albany<->boston monday/friday commute
for 5 months. Just go prepared.

        See you in Boulder!!

iii