Re: various stuff

To: british-cars@Alliant.COM
Subject: Re: various stuff
From: mit-eddie!pwcs.StPaul.GOV!phile@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Philip J Ethier)
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 90 12:31:54 CDT
 I've asked before, but never really got an answer: Has anybody had
any success in repairing their Lucas Lord of Inconsistancy Electronic
Ignition? You can't replace it with an aftermarket unit in
Smog-Plagued
California, and I would really prefer to fix it. It goes brain dead
about every twenty minutes of driving, and comes back with a bang
(As in spitting fire from the tailpipe) a few seconds later.
 I saw a mention of adding a heat sink to the module. Does this cure
it, or just extend the times between failure?
 Aran (DMV most wanted list) Guy  guy@bevsun.bev.lbl.gov

Can someone explain this to me?  If you can pass the
smog-certification tests that California is so fond of, why can't you
do it with a different ignition system?  Jeez, I thought cleaner air
was the goal, not to get kickbacks from Lucas!  Thank heaven there are
no standards for my '66 Spridget in Minnesota.  I refuse to feel
guilty about having an un-smog-controlled car when I only drive it
about a thousand miles a year.
phile@pwcs.stpaul.gov