Colorado Emissions

To: british-cars@Alliant.COM (TR Group)
Subject: Colorado Emissions
From: Larry Gillam <mit-eddie!hpfcpq.fc.hp.com!gillam@EDDIE.MIT.EDU>
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 90 12:34:55 MDT
Anyone know the situation in Colorado?  My son's thinking of moving
there and wants to take his Allison and Weber-equipped Spitfire.

                Mike Tobin

        Mike,

        In Colorado, if you live on the front range(an area roughly 50
        miles east of the foothills that include the major population
        areas)you're required to have all original emission equipment
        present and hooked up. The technician is SUPPOSE to verify the
        pieces, but I've NEVER seen them do it. I have a '72 TR6 that
        has some vacuum hoses missing and they've never called me on it.
        I suppose a missing air pump would be more conspicuous. Anyway,
        I don't know how they'd know what was right since I've never seen
        them refer to a manual showing ALL emission configurations for all
        years! All years are required to have a sticker, but........if your
        car is >25 yr. old you can buy "Collector Series" plates that don't
        require an emission check.

                                        Larry Gillam
                                        Loveland, Colo.