Re: Re: winter starts...

To: cobra@dtc.hp.com (Roland Dudley)
Subject: Re: Re: winter starts...
From: Dick Nyquist <dickn@hpspdln.spd.hp.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 90 10:04:23 PST

| From: garnett@theory.TN.CORNELL.EDU (Roger Garnett)
|

|   >You may also find that partially blocking the radiator helps the engine a
|   >lot. (cardboard, or canvas behind the grill)
|
| Years ago I recall seeing little rolldown nightshade like thingies that
| could be mounted in fornt of the radiator.  Are they still available?
|
| BTW, if you do block the radiator, be sure to unblock it again while
| driving in traffic.  I forgot to do this in a Healey once and had a boil
| over at -10 degrees.
|
| Roland Dudley
| cobra@hpcilsn.HP.COM
| CSX2282

In the late 50s and early 60s Volvo used a window shade which roled up
from the bottom in front of the radiator. It was raised manually via a chane
which ran over the top of the radiator, above the engine, and through the
firewall, where it was retained under the dashboard. The chane and/or the
shade were removed from many of these cars (444s,544s,445s) by the dealers. I
suppose inexperianced owners had overheating problems.
dickn