Re: rustproofing

To: mit-eddie!wsl.dec.com!sfisher@encore.encore.com
Subject: Re: rustproofing
From: Mike Johnson <linus!mit-eddie!hpupora.nsr.hp.com!mikej@encore.encore.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 91 8:41:31 PST

> >    Considering how well it was sticking after 22 years I assume the stuff
> >wasn't original, is this the sort of stuff that rustproofing shops put on?
> >Has anyone found some brand that works better than most?
>
> The coat of Castrol 20W-50 under my '71 B works just fine,
> and it's constantly replenished.  I'm grateful again for
> the fine engineering of BMC to install an automatic
> chassis rustproofing system in the main bearing seal
> of the B series engine.
>
> --Scott "And the vent hole at the bottom of the bellhousing" Fisher

Now you know why they call them "British Oil Engines".  The other
advantage is no need to drain the old oil.  In fact I have heard that some
British Oil Engines didn't have filler caps.  You just poured oil all over
the outside, sort of like basting a turkey.  Then hoped that some would
leak in while it was sitting still.  Course none of my engines work that
way.  Must have been earlier motors.  Maybe the early Europas (;-).

--
 Mike Johnson
 Systems Engineer             INTERNET        mikej@hpupora.nsr.hp.com