desk toys

To: british-cars@encore.com
Subject: desk toys
From: Croaker the Physician <markl@us.oracle.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Aug 91 09:01:01 PDT
My desk toys:

A small, tasteful picture of the Geezer up on the wall, and my $1000
paperweight.  Those of you who were on the list back in 1986 (or maybe 1987,
I don't remember), might remember that the Geezer once broke some teeth off
of third gear as we made our way at speed up an on-ramp to the Mass Pike.
The resulting required byzantine mechanical work had the makings of a
wonderful story.  Well, I cleaned the oil off the gear, and it makes a lovely
paperweight.

I used to have a layshaft (from the same transmission, since it had some
truly awful indentations worn in where the bearings were), but it kept
rolling around and falling on people's feet, so I got rid of it.

At one point I was also thinking of cleaning up the transmission, taking the
inspection plate off, putting an electric motor in the bottom and a lampshade
and light on the top, and turning it into an interesting rotating endtable
lamp, but my wife wouldn't let me.

Oh, and I have a bowling pin on my window sill.  But it's not British.

markl

PS: for those of you going to the Tied House on Wednesday, I'll try to show
up too.

Mark L. Lambert
Architecture Group, Network Products Division
Oracle Corporation

           Internet: markl@us.oracle.com
           UUCP:     ...uunet!oracle!markl
           USMail:   Oracle Corporation
                     400 Oracle Pkwy, 10th floor
                     Redwood Shores, CA 94065

"The parts falling off this car are of the finest British quality..."