Re: Historic Mog???

To: sfisher@wsl.dec.com (Captain Capsaicine)
Subject: Re: Historic Mog???
From: Dick Nyquist <dickn@hpspdln.spd.hp.com>
Date: Wed, 6 May 92 14:58:59 PDT

Re: Mog history

Scott sraightened many of the murk sweeping generalizations
adding lots of info that I'd either forgotten or never knew
as well as offering profound and accurate reflections on the
joys of riding in a Triumph 1800 on a warm spring day.  8^)

The only details I question are:
| ............................................  When Triumph
| introduced the TR2 and its engine became one of the powerplants of choice
| for cheaper specials (compared to Coventry Climax or Jaguar powerplants),
| Morgan introduced the Plus Four with TR power, which slotted in nicely
| between MG and Austin-Healey in performance (hmmm, about where TR did)

I had heard that Morgan got the Vanguard engine out of the Renown
and was actually using it for some time befor the tr2 came out.
Many years ago I did a couple of engine swaps using Vanguard
engines from both TR2 and Morgan. There were quite a few minor differances.
Also I think that a Morgan is a bit lighter then a tr2 or tr3
and a lot lighter then a tr4 and it should be faster then a
AustinHealy.

|     Their were lot of small britsh sports cars in the 1930s that looked a bit
|     like post war Morgans though. regards/DickN
|
| Actually, it's more correct to say they looked a bit like prewar MGs. .....
| fender look for the J2 of (help me, Roger, my books are at home) 1932.
|Earlier
| Midgets had a boat-tail look that was equal parts nautical and aeronautical.

Actually it would be most accurate to say that they shared design elements
used on many cars on both sides of the Atlantic

My favorite would be a trike or a flat radiator both of which I've had the
chance
to buy and had to pass up    8^(