Re: Historic Mog???

To: British Cars <british-cars@hoosier>,
Subject: Re: Historic Mog???
From: sggy@crux1.cit.cornell.edu (Roger Garnett)
Date: Wed, 6 May 1992 22:54:22 -0400
Captain Capsaicine scribed:
> Roland is answered by Phil who is answered by Dick who is answered by me:
>
>     R:   green Morgan.  Would this be historically correct for 1940?
>     P: Morgan had several models out before The War.
>     R:   the distinctive round top radiator and very Morganlooking fenders.
>     P: I thought Moggies had flat radiators before 1953.

S: Actually, it's more correct to say they looked a bit like prewar MGs.  Cecil
> Kimber's designs for the Midget starting in the late '20s were highly copied
> by other firms.  Kimber pretty much invented the slab gas tank and clamshell
> fender look for the J2 of (help me, Roger, my books are at home) 1932. Earlier
> Midgets had a boat-tail look that was equal parts nautical and aeronautical.

It's all eveloution. Kimbers early designs were much larger cars, working
from Morris Motors stock (Bullnose, etc.), with fairly flat wings. Even so
on the MK II, III, series.  Even before the Midgets, there were the ubiquitous
Austin Seven's. (mid-late 20's) Clamshell front wings, fer sure. The Sevens were
MG's major (Only?) competition in the sub-750cc class, at first. I think the
racing C-Type was the first Midget to sport a slab-type petrol tank. Which means
that the J was the first volume produced midget with a slab tank.

   ________
  /     _  \        Roger Garnett             (Roger_Garnett@cornell.edu)
 /   /||  \ \       Agricultural Economics   |
| |\/ ||  _  |      3 Warren Hall            | "The South Lansing Centre
| |   ||   | |      Cornell University       |  For Wayward Sports Cars"
 \    ||__/ /       Ithaca, N.Y. 14853       | (607) 533-7735
  \________/        (607) 255-2522           | Safety Fast!