Re: Observation... jack stands

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: Re: Observation... jack stands
From: phile@pwcs.stpaul.gov (Philip J Ethier)
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 92 12:46:34 CDT
James A. TenCate writes >

>they now carry a warning NOT to get under a car supported
>by jack stands!  Hmmmm.  Liability?

Yes.  Stinking lawyers.  Actually, my autocross club just got stiffed by Isuzu
USA on a event sponsorship deal.  When that happened, we went to a local Mazda
dealer.  They were happy to help us out, but Mazda USA would not let them.
 Liability.  So when I made the "stinking lawyers" comment, my Dutton-driving
(knew I would something British in here) lawyer buddy laughed and said "yup".

>I brought them home and put a TR6 on the 4 stands I just bought.  The
>only ways that car will come off the jack stands is if (1) there's an
>earthquake or hurricane,

I think I recall TeriAnn Wakeman writing a while back that there TR-3 DID go
through an earthquake on jack stands!

>How many times have you heard about a jack stand failing?

Pat Gauss (sp) on PBS' "Motorweek" claims that the stamped ones often fail and
that you should only use the ones welded from angle.  I have never seen even a
cheapie fail.  I have six stamped ones in three designs and two of the welded
ones.  I never had any trouble, but who knows?

Phil Ethier, THE RIGHT LINE, 672 Orleans Street, Saint Paul, MN   55107-2676
h (612) 224-3105  w (612) 298-5324     phile@pwcs.stpaul.gov
"The workingman's GT-40" - Anthony Colin Bruce Chapman