re: Observation... jack stands

To: jtc@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu
Subject: re: Observation... jack stands
From: whs70@dancer.cc.bellcore.com (sohl,william h)
Date: 31 Aug 1992 10:14 EDT
>This weekend I had occasion to go out and purchase 4 jack stands.  Much
>to my surprise, they now carry a warning NOT to get under a car supported
>by jack stands!  Hmmmm.  Liability?  These were NOT "cheapies" and I saw
>the warning stickers on the entire jack stand range (Pep Boys).  Curious.
>
>I brought them home and put a TR6 on the 4 stands I just bought.  The
>only ways that car will come off the jack stands is if (1) there's an
>earthquake or hurricane, or (2) another car smashes into it.  I've been
>using jack stands for years.  How many times have you heard about a jack
>stand failing?
jim

I'm sure there have been cases of cars "improperly" resting on jack
stands that have lead to someone injured when the car shifted, etc.
However, a car properly seated on jacks stands shouldn't (IMHO)
ever be a problem.  If the jack stand manufacturers are stating
one shouldn't get under a vehicle that is proped up with their
products, how then does a home mechanic do any work under the vehicle?

My guess is that the manufacturers are trying to limit their
liability.  There has probably been a lawsuit (maybe several)
where a car hurt/killed someone working under it and the jackstand
manufacturer became a "deep pocket" source of settlement money.
That probably was the case, even though the vehicle was probably
precariously perched on one or more jack stands, etc.
Bill Sohl (K2UNK) BELLCORE (Bell Communications Research, Inc.)
Morristown, NJ             email via UUCP      bcr!dancer!whs70
201-829-2879 Weekdays      email via Internet  whs70@dancer.cc.bellcore.com