Re: Observation... jack stands

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Observation... jack stands
From: "Andrew C. Green" <acg@hermes.dlogics.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 1992 09:07:50 CDT
jim (jtc@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu) writes:
> This weekend I had occasion to go out and purchase 4 jack stands.  Much
> to my surprise, they now carry a warning NOT to get under a car supported
> by jack stands!  Hmmmm.  Liability?

Most likely. When I see a product designed for a particular purpose, then
accompanied by a warning label essentially telling you not to use it for
that purpose, I suspect either (A) the government, or (B) some lawyers
have had a hand in this. Usually such products are available in regular
or menthol.  ;-)

I have not heard of a jack stand failing *per se*, but it is possible for
the supported car to fail. You might manage to miss the frame rails, if
any, when lowering the car onto the stand, and end up with the car supported
by its floor pan. Some of today's cars have such flimsy unibody designs
(after weakening with rust over the years) that it is conceivable in the
near future that somebody will manage to drop one on his head.

I myself have a huge Sears trolley jack (~3 ft. long lift arm; best purchase
I ever made) which I use to back up the jack stands if necessary. If I
don't have to remove the wheels, I also stick ramps under the airborne
tires. Avoids unpleasantries if some doofus stops by to chat while I'm
under the car, and said doofus leans against the vehicle at an odd angle.
Nothing like an ominous creaking sound to prick up your ears while you're
nose-to-drain-plug with a large hunk of cast iron.

Andrew C. Green
Datalogics, Inc.      Internet: acg@dlogics.com
441 W. Huron          UUCP: ..!uunet!dlogics!acg
Chicago, IL  60610    FAX: (312) 266-4473