Re: Long trips

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Long trips
From: gavin@csis.dit.csiro.au
Date: Tue, 25 May 93 14:37:01 EST
Hello Tim

> The trip will be from Hobart to Sydney about 3000Km return.

The Sydney to Hobart in reverse eh?

> being an island, is connected to mainland Australia by ferry, so I won't
> need a large rubber raft).

What, you're not going to try and do one better than the VW.  For overseas
people, some guy tried a couple of times to drive his VW Beetle from Melbourne
to Tasmania (across the Bass Strait).  He never did make it but it was funny to
watch.

> I'll be travelling in my Moke, which is pretty unpleasant at high speed
> with the roof up so unless it is raining I'll be 'au natural'.

I pity you.  We used to go around in mokes on Magnetic Island off Townsville
in North Queensland (about 2400km north of Sydney on the subtropical coast).
They were great for a tight, hilly island.  I definitely wouldn't want one on
a main highway.

Your parts list seems reasonable.  I'd probably take less if I were driving
the rover to Melbourne (2000km return) or something, but a moke is not the sort
of thing you want to hang around in, waiting for the NRMA, on a cold frosty
night.

If you feel like dropping by Canberra on the way (small 300km detour) I might
be able to warm up those fingers.

--
  _--_|\ __Townsville          -|-    Gavin Walker

       |__Tasmania is the little v on the bottom.