long trips

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: long trips
From: "Chris Kent Kantarjiev" <cak@parc.xerox.com>
Date: Thu, 27 May 1993 11:36:47 PDT
I've made several long trips in LBCs; most of them have been documented
here. The longest was two people in my TR4A, from San Francisco to
Boulder, to the Tetons and back, 3564 miles in 20 days. There was only
one problem that I fixed easily, but I'd been preparing the car with a
long trip in mind for several months. I've been through the Smokies in
a TR3A, and through the desert in a GT6+

The TR has a bit more luggage room than an MGB, but we also took a wide
range of stuff - hiking and climbing gear for the tetons, good clothes
for the VTR convention, etc. You just have to be somewhat selective in
what you carry, and creative in how you pack.

I carry general tools, some oil, brake fluid and water, a spare belt,
duct tape and baling wire, and a complete set of ignition parts. You
might consider radiator hoses as well. If the car has been behaving
well of late, you shouldn't have any problems. If you get stuck in
traffic and start having heat problems, do what Enzo was always rumored
to have done - pull over and have some coffee! (The story goes that
Enzo Ferrari never believed that his cars had overheating problems
because he wasn't willing to sit in traffic. If things ever backed up,
he parked the car and waited at a caffe for the traffic to clear.)

Enjoy the trip. Top down driving through the Smokies is quite a treat.