Bummer MGB clutch

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Bummer MGB clutch
From: atf@scammell.ecos.tne.oz.au (Arthur Freeman )
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 93 16:24:26 EST
Yesterday I posted (well I think I posted) a request for help/info on
a clutch problem I am having with my 77 MGB.

Further to my posting, I have reasonably well satisfied myself that I have not
put anything together wrongly, and that all the parts are in a reasonable, if
not good state of repair.

Therefore the only conclusion I can reach is that the problem must lie with
the clutch thrust bearing (which was not replaced).

Before taking the old clutch out, the clutch acted only on the last inch
or so of the pedal travel, but there was no graunching when going into
reverse. Now with a new friction plate, the clutch does not appear to
totally disengage. The old plate was about half worn, so I thought that
by replacing it I would not have to go in again for a while!

The question really is: Would an aftermarket clutch thrust bearing have a
different height than the original?
The one in the car (at a guess) was purchased in USofA, and appears to have
a plastic coating. This does not seem to me to be what the original MGs would
have had.

Can anyone throw any light on the subject?
I look forward to whatever pearls of wisdom are forthcoming,

thanks,

Arthur