HRG Engineering

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: HRG Engineering
From: jhoward@atlas.usno.navy.mil (James Howard)
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 93 09:05:31 EDT
I went and dug up what I know about HRG last night.

>From 'Improve & Modify MGB', by Lindsay Porter & Dave Pollard, published by
Haynes.  Page 147:

        The HRG alloy crossflow head, originally made for the MGA
        series, never really caught on, although in principle it offered many
        benefits over the standard head.  On the standard head, the inlet and
        exhaust ports are on the same side, which means that the inlet ports
        have to be siamesed.  Also, the centre two exhaust ports have been
        joined together.  The HRG design gets away from multiple ports and, as
        can be seen here (2 photos), the inlet ports are now separate and on
        the side of the spark plugs.  Although the HRG company ceased
        production some time ago, the heads are being manufactured once more
        by a company who have bought the pattern rights.  The 'new' head
        achieves what the old originally failed to do, it actually improves
        performance!

The blurb neglects to mention the name of the company who bought the
rights.

James