Re: Berkshire British Motor Club; Our trivia contest

To: twakeman@apple.com (Teriann J. Wakeman)
Subject: Re: Berkshire British Motor Club; Our trivia contest
From: phile@stpaul.gov (Philip J Ethier)
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 1993 08:46:46 -0500 (CDT)
Teriann J. Wakeman writes >

> Chubby box should be cubby box.

Makes sense to me.

> 16. British trunk lid,

Boot Cover?

> 27. British windshield

"Parking tickets were waving like flags on my windscreen"  - The Stones

> 28. British for firewall or other cross panel

Bulkhead.  Used on ships in USA

> 29.British for transmission

Gearbox.  Fairly common in USA

> 31 British for panel above the dash board before the hood.
> 32 British for dash board
>
> OOPS 30 should read British for convertable top frame

Tinkertoys.  No, wait, that was the frame for my Midget's roadster top.

> 33. British for convertible top

Hood.  This was covered in the original quiz.

> 24. British for removable side windows

Side curtains, same as USA since the horse-and-buggy days.  In the USA
they were sometimes called "I-zen-glass" curtains (I have no idea how to
spell that), which referred to the clear material.  May have been a brand
name for some kind of clear cello stuff no longer used.  This term is very
old and predated automobiles.

> 35. British for 4 door sedan

Saloon.  Especially the rolls with the bar in the back.  :-)

> 36. British for 2 door coup

Coupe', with the long A sound at the end.  Maybe you are fishing for
fixed-head coupe.

> 37.  British for convertible version of the 2 door coup

Drop-head coupe.  Thanks to all my British friends who have straightened
me out on this one.  I used to think that "drop-head coupe" meant a car
with a removable hard top.

> 38. British for a car model that only comes in a convertible style

Are you saying roadster?  I can hear the arguments starting now ...

> 39. Who invented the externally lubricated engine?

The British, I suppose.  What's your point?

> 40. SOL stands for

Scions of Lucas (nonsexist form of "Sons of Lucas")

> 41 LBC stands for

Little British Car, Large British Car, or in my case, LOW British Car.

> 42 sworking stands for

Swearing whilst working

> 43 PO stands for

The dreaded Previous Owner, otherwise known as the maniac that messed up
the car in the most extraordinary ways possible.  See
"Satellite-control-station-based Europa Wiring Schemes".

Roland Dudley writes \

\44  RTFM

Read The (insert your favorite rude word here) Manual

Phil Ethier, THE RIGHT LINE, 672 Orleans St, Saint Paul, MN  55107-2676
h (612) 224-3105  w (612) 266-6244    phile@stpaul.gov
"The workingman's GT-40" - Anthony Colin Bruce Chapman