Oil pump (Renault-Europa)

To: phile@stpaul.gov (Philip J Ethier)
Subject: Oil pump (Renault-Europa)
From: paisley@central.bldrdoc.gov (Scott W. Paisley 303-497-7691)
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 93 10:43:20 MDT
Philip J Ethier writes:
 > I suppose what I have to do now is get some oil into the pump.  Brilliant
 > deduction.  But how?  First thought is to shoot it back from the filter mount.

I dunno if this is how your oil pump is operated, but on the tr6, the
oil pump and the distributor is run off a gear on the cam.  If this
your case, you could remove the distributor and poor some oil in the
distributor opening in the block which should allow oil to go straight
down through the pump.  If you remove the gear, you can then use a
drill (in reverse) with an attachment to run the oil pump without
turning over the engine to generate oil pressure.  I've never done
this, and it sounds like a nice idea after rebuilds and such.

 > Let me know where I have gone wrong with this reasoning.  I sure hope I
 > didn't hurt the bearings cranking the engine.  Sigh.

Nah, no problem.  They should still have some oil on them from the
previous oilings.  What you have done is no worse than a compression
check, IMO.

Good Luck!

-Scotty