Re: Oil pump (Renault-Europa)

To: mike@setanta.demon.co.uk (Mike Causer)
Subject: Re: Oil pump (Renault-Europa)
From: phile@stpaul.gov (Philip J Ethier)
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 1993 11:11:30 -0500 (CDT)
Mike Causer writes >

> if the oil really could drain back wouldn't there be a non-return valve?

Maybe.  Whatever may exist to keep the oil from leaving the pump seems to
work really well with a full sump (> two years) and not so well with an
empty sump (< four days).

> wouldn't the workshop manual have something to say about how to prime
> the pump?

One would think so, but I have not been able to find it.

> > Which way does the oil go in a spin-on filter? I think I remember someone
> > posting that the oil comes from the oil pump to the outside of the filter,
> > then through the filtering medium to the inside and through the threaded
> > pipe to the engine.  Do I have this right?
>
> Does it matter?  Why not just fill every orifice in sight?

I thought about this, and it makes perfect sense.  I have not had a chance
to get back to it yet.  I will fill my plews oiler with synthetic and shoot
both openings to the filter mount till they won't take any more.

> I always fill the filter with oil before putting it on, although this is a
> messy operation with a horizontal filter.

That is the original reason I asked about flow direction.  If the oil
enters the filter on the outside during operation, partially filling the
filter may have been enough to prevent the problem.  If the oil enters the
threaded pipe to the center of the filter during operation, you'd never
get enough oil back to the pump this way.  BTW, when removing the filter
on the Lotus this time, I had something happen that has never happened to
me with any car before.  The threaded pipe stayed in the filter and
unscrewed itself out of the engine.  I had to use a large easy-out to
break it loose from the filter, then it came out easily by fingers.

> putting my arm up the transmission tunnel of a 98,000 mile MG Midget to
>replace
> the brake bundy.  Urggggh.

Heh, heh.  That is why the rust on my Midget did not inhabit the tunnel
area, and is the secret to Midgets' drivability with major rust in the sills.
The tunnel is welded all round and is tremendously strong.  The engine and
gearbox leaks get blown back through there and prevent rust.  When
replacing the driveshaft on mine, I got incredibly filthy.  If you could
maintain this kind of glop under a car, you would never worry about
rotting out your chassis!

phile@stpaul.gov