Re: Hammertone Paint

To: thcollin@mtu.edu, british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Hammertone Paint
From: "TeriAnn Wakeman" <twakeman@apple.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 94 10:18:08 -0800
In message <199402051440.AA03456@mtu.edu> Timothy Collins writes:
>         From time to time I read stories about folks who have
> used hammertone (crinkle) paint on their LBC.  I too have used it
> on the dash of my 1966 AH Sprite.  It turned out quit nice, but
> I'm not sure I used the stuff correctly.  So here's some
> questions.
>         I put the hammertone paint over bare metal.  By bare, I
> mean I did prep the metal for cleanliness and I gave it an acid
> wash first, but no primer.  I did not prime the bare metal
> because I didn't know how a primer might affect the crinkle
> action.  I ended up with a great finish, but now I wonder about
> the long term stability of the finish.  I have the dash in my
> warm, dry basement, but what will happen when it is reunited with
> the Sprite under normal atmospheric conditions?  Instant rust?
>         Also, I have other parts I plan to paint with hammertone
> paint.  Those parts may contain some filler, most likely lead...
> maybe plastic filler.  Will the paint crinkle uniformly on the
> steel, lead and plastic or will the subsurface be detectable
> through the paint afterwards?
>         TerriAnn, I remember reading that you used this paint on
> your car.  What steps did you follow?
> Tim Collins, Director
> School of Technology                       Say ya to da U.P. eh!
> Michigan Technological University
> Houghton, MI   49931-1295

Tim,

First I suspect crinkle paint is not hammertone.  I just got a can of hammertone
gray in from Eastwood to refinish the TR3's side curtin mounting brackets.

I did two things.  I read the directions carefully (they said to spray on clean
dry metal.  The other thing I did was ask my local body man about spraying it.
He suggested a first very light mist coat from about 1-1/2 times the recommended
spray distance.  Let it get a little tacky then to spray it.  The first coat
gives the paint someting to adhear to and you are less likely to get runs.

What I have discovered:

1. Temperature is very important to the paint going on correctly and crinkling
when it drys.  If you are below the recommended temperature, the crinkle will
come out uneven and some areas will not crinkle.

2.  There is a tendency for the spray can to send out some large drops when you
first push down the button.  Start your spray away from the part being sprayed,
spray over the part in a constont motion & end the spray off the part on the
other side.

3.  The istructions on the can says it is a hard finish So like you, I'm hoping
it will last a long time too.  I do not trust any paint until it has had time to
completely cure.  Some paints cure faster than others.

Take care,

TeriAnn

TeriAnn Wakeman             One of these days, I'll be old enough that
twakeman@apple.com          people will stop calling me crazy and start
LINK: TWAKEMAN              calling me eccentric.
408-974-2344        TR3A - TS75519L, MGBGT - GHD4U149572G, 109 - 164000561