Hammertone Paint

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Hammertone Paint
From: Timothy Collins <thcollin@mtu.edu>
Date: Sat, 5 Feb 1994 09:40:29 -0500
        From time to time I read stories about folks who have
used hammertone (crinkle) paint on their LBC.  I too have used it
on the dash of my 1966 AH Sprite.  It turned out quit nice, but
I'm not sure I used the stuff correctly.  So here's some
questions.
        I put the hammertone paint over bare metal.  By bare, I
mean I did prep the metal for cleanliness and I gave it an acid
wash first, but no primer.  I did not prime the bare metal
because I didn't know how a primer might affect the crinkle
action.  I ended up with a great finish, but now I wonder about
the long term stability of the finish.  I have the dash in my
warm, dry basement, but what will happen when it is reunited with
the Sprite under normal atmospheric conditions?  Instant rust?
        Also, I have other parts I plan to paint with hammertone
paint.  Those parts may contain some filler, most likely lead...
maybe plastic filler.  Will the paint crinkle uniformly on the
steel, lead and plastic or will the subsurface be detectable
through the paint afterwards?
        TerriAnn, I remember reading that you used this paint on
your car.  What steps did you follow?
Tim Collins, Director
School of Technology                       Say ya to da U.P. eh!
Michigan Technological University
Houghton, MI   49931-1295