Re: POR-15

To: <British-Cars@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: POR-15
From: "POCHE@music.loyno.edu" <POCHE@MUSIC.LOYNO.EDU>
Date: Mon, 07 Feb 94 23:21:08 CST
SendMail TO(BritCars) Subj(Re: POR-15) File(FEB07942.oma)
BlackTiger Mailer - Msg Created 02-07-1994 .. 23:08:07

>Date: Mon, 7 Feb 1994 16:12:37 -0500 (EST)
>From: "W. Ray Gibbons" <gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu>
>Subject: Re: POR-15
>

>On Mon, 7 Feb 1994, Jody Levine wrote:
>
>> Has anyone else had experience with POR-15? Does anyone know what this
>> stuff is? Is it epoxy paint, perhaps with additives, or something completely
>> different? Is there a cheaper, generic version of the stuff?
>>
>> Jody Levine - jlevine@rd.hydro.on.ca - Toronto - '79 mobile doorstop ragtop
>
>I've used it.  I *think* it is some kind of moisture-cure polyurethane.
>It is impressively hard to get off one's fingers, I know that.  I had a
>bad experience at the start:  I painted the inside of the "trunk" of the
>bugeye with it.  It wasn't rusty, in fact it was clean original factory
>primer, but I reasoned so much the better.  It cured, then came off *in
>sheets* at the slightest provocation.  I spoke to a friend who has used
>it, and he confirmed that it does not adhere well on a smooth surface.
>After that, I decided no short cuts, all rust got removed.
>
>Ray Gibbons

I used their gas tank sealer product. I think it is the same stuff
but sold as a slush for sealing gas tanks. Mine "came off in sheets

too! And inside the tank I had to just leave it there!! And worst of
all the tank still leaks.
I too can attest to the difficulty of getting it off your hands!!!
And you are likely correct in that it doesn't stick well to smooth
surfaces (like inside gas tanks)!

(anyone got a TR-3 gas tank laying around?)

 ! Louis A. Poche'                 !  Chief Engineer                  !
 ! Internet: POCHE@music.loyno.edu !  Loyola University               !
 ! CompuServe:   73007,1521        !  Department of Communications    !
 ! Amateur Radio: KD5XE            !  6363 St. Charles Ave.           !
 ! Voice Phone: (504) 865-3636     !  Box 201                         !
 ! FAX:         (504) 865-2666     !  New Orleans, LA 70118           !