Re: spridget hubs and bearings

To: cak@parc.xerox.com (Chris Kent Kantarjiev)
Subject: Re: spridget hubs and bearings
From: phile@stpaul.gov (Philip J Ethier)
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 1994 13:11:35 -0600 (CST)
Chris Kent Kantarjiev writes>

> I remember someone going on about upgrading spridget hubs from ball
> bearings to tapered roller bearings; of course at that time, I wasn't
> interested so I didn't pay careful attention.

If someone was "going on about" something, it should be no surprise to
learn it was Phil Ethier.

> Mini Mania says they used to sell a kit but can't get it any more; I
> can go to a bearing house and get something close, but I'll have to
> machine the hub. Bummer.

I know you are not going to believe this.  I walked into the local parts
house (not for britcars, or even foreign cars, just the regular car-parts
place) and asked for bearings for a Midget.  The guy behind the counter
asked if I want the ball bearings or the roller bearings.  The roller
bearings were cheaper.  Took one day to get them in, as I recall.

I think they were Federal-Mogul bearings, but I am not sure.  No, I didn't
save the bearing numbers.  Oops.

Installation was a breeze.  I put the bearings in just like any regular
car.  The spacer the ball bearings uses gets left out, of course.  The
brake disk did not center exactly in the caliper, but was close enough that
the pads fit OK.  I was quite happy with them.  Won two autocrosses on
them before I sold the car.

> Anyone know where I can get the right parts, instead?

I must emphasize that there is nothing real trick about this parts house,
and they are in no way hip to britcars.  The books that they use have to
be common to larger parts places.  Go to the place in your town that
supplies regular garages and just ask at the desk.