Re: Congrats to Phil Ethier?

To: LANG@ISIS.MIT.EDU (Bob Lang)
Subject: Re: Congrats to Phil Ethier?
From: phile@stpaul.gov (Philip J Ethier)
Date: Thu, 26 May 1994 11:43:30 -0500 (CDT)
Bob Lang writes on british-cars >

> I was poking through the June issue of _Grassroots Motorsports_ last evening,
> and I noticed in the Editors Choice Awards that SOL list contributor Phil
> Ethier's _The Right Line_ won mention in the newsletter category.
>
> Get your copy now, while they are still hot!
>
> Congratulations, Phil!
>
> rml
> p.s. of course this assumes that Phil is associated with the recipients of the
> award...

(The envelope has been opened, the announcement made, and the statuette is
clutched by a white-haired man as he stammers though the applause...)

"I want to thank my mother, my father, Scott Fisher, Daren Stone, Cory
Carpenter,  Mike Causer,  Akkana Peck, Karen Babb,  Brian Dore', Steve Valin,
TEAM.NET, the Scions of Lucas, Team Fizzball and the rest of wheeltowheel,
lotus-cars and other individuals too numerous to mention.  Their
submissions, ideas, and arguments have helped make THE RIGHT LINE and its
editor into what we are today.  This award would not have been possible
without the financial support of the Minnesota Autosports Club.  Most
of all my lovely wife, Susan, for all the nights spent away from her
whilst preparing this publication.  Thank you.  Thank you all."

(The presenters hustle him off the stage, as he has taken more time than
allotted, and the important awards are coming up.)

Seriously, I have not read the article yet.  June, you say?  I have not
been contacted by Tim or anyone else from GRM, so I don't think I am getting a
certificate or anything.  ;-)

I had my tongue only partly in cheek with the above acceptance speech for
a not-very exclusive award.  I know this is no big deal.  It's only a local
autocrossing club newsletter, for crying out loud.  But it is an unusual
excuse to say some things about me, the net and THE RIGHT LINE that one
wouldn't ordinarily broadcast like this.

It would be simple for me to say I do it all myself.  Most of the articles
bear my name.  But the background and the experiences are the sum of my
interaction with the car nuts of Minnesota since 1968 and with you
electronic brothers and sisters since 1989.  I have also been happy to
share with my readership some of your literary efforts, and given nothing
but, in Scott's words, "he credits me for it and is willing to blow 29
cents on a stamp".

I have learned an enormous amount about cars, autocrossing and life.  I am
sure most of us in these overlapping electronic villages feel the same.

Phil Ethier, THE RIGHT LINE, 672 Orleans St, Saint Paul, MN  55107-2676  USA
h (612) 224-3105  w (612) 266-6244    phile@stpaul.gov
"Who am I to blow against the wind?"  - Paul Simon