Re: Re: 1970 TR6

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Re: 1970 TR6
From: doug@dsg128.nad.ford.com (Douglas Mitchell)
Date: Tue, 7 Jun 94 10:01:34 EDT

        Went to look at a local TR6 that was up for sale.  Overall the car
is in pretty good shape and APPEARED to be almost unaltered from original.
My question - the front and rear bumpers had a 'railing' over them that I
can't find in any books or catalogs - was this an option in 1970?  Also,
there was an extra pair of lights (small, rectangular) under the rear set
of lights that I never had seen before.  Finally, I was only interested in
authenticity of the car so I didn't talk to anyone there about it - if
anyone would like more info on it, I can probably get a contact number or
check it out further for you (BRG, tan, interior vgd., engine ok, chrome
ok, 98K on the odometer, top (probably original) gd., body ok, slight rust,
$6500 on the placard).

                Ned Corcoran

The railing that you are refering to is probably the Amco "Badge Bars",
that were available as dealer installed options.

I seem to remember an article in an old TSOA (Triumph Sports Owner
Association) newsletter that mentioned a recall on certain early TR6's
for installation of extra reflectors on the rear. The placement from the
photo sounds like the extra pair of lights. (It seemed that the original
reflectors did not cover the minimum number of square inches, so they
added these to meet specs.

$6500 for a '70 TR6 with 98k on it sounds a bit steep, almost like the
1962 TR3A that was listed by a dealer for $6950 in this last weekend's
Detroit paper. When dealers start selling TR3's, something sounds scary.

Doug Mitchell