Re: Vapor lock (???) in a Healey

To: WILSONHB@ctrvax.Vanderbilt.Edu, british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Vapor lock (???) in a Healey
From: Steve Bender <sbender@pre.dsd.ES.COM>
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 1994 08:16:06 -0600
> Bad problem here.  Just when the 100-6 is all warmed up and has been ripping
> along the boulevards for 15 minutes or so, sometimes it begins to hesitate.
> The carbs seem to "choke" as if they aren't getting enough gas momentarily.
> The most common time for this to happen is if I have been on the highway at
> 70-80 mph and try to accelerate; it just seems to bog down but often recovers
> and becomes "normal
> "again.  Please, can someone help with this?  I have no idea what the problem
> is much less how to fix it.  The Fuel pump was replaced 3 years ago along with
> all tubing withought resolution.
> Has anyone had this before?  I'm getting desperate--nothing I do makes it go
>away!
> Thanks,
> Henry Wilson

Henry,

This symptom sounds precisely like a problem I dealt with a couple of months
ago on my TR4A.  The problem would only occur when fuel demand was high
and progressively got worse over about a two-week period.  I first thought
that jet was obstructed or getting stuck closed on one carb... disassembly
cleaning, and reassembly did not fix the problem (but at least I got them
set just right this time).  Next I thought it was simply vapor lock, but
could not explain why I never encountered the problem in even hotter weather.
I also swapped the fuel-pump with a spare to no avail.

I finally resolved to remove the fuel-line and check for obstruction and
found a blockage of fine rusty grit close to the outlet of the tank.
I was reluctant to check this having thouroughly reconditioned the tank
and fuel-lines about five-years ago.

You may be able to test for obstruction by disconnecting your fuel line
before the pump and seeing if the fuel being fed by gravity from the
tank comes out in a healthy stream, or just dribbles a bit.

-Steve-