RE: 1925 Alvis Starting

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: 1925 Alvis Starting
From: Barry Riseley <barry-riseley@trump.net.au>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2002 10:10:30 +1100
Hello everyone,
I have come in to this thread probably late and ill informed but offer the
following in all technical humility.

Many years ago I spent a whole weekend trying to start a Bull Nose Morris I
had rebuilt to rolling chassis stage.

There appeared to be  spark at the plugs and fuel but the blessed thing
just would not start.
After two days "winding the handle" all I had achieved was a beautifully
blistered pair of hands and a sore back.

An old chap who lined down the road from me had a fiddle and the asked me
to bring the Magneto along to his little workshop.

He produced a gigantic electromagnet "thing" from under his bench and sat
the magneto on it and connected up a 12 volt batter to the electromagnet.
After about thirty seconds or so he turned the whole thing off, handed me
back the magneto and said "Take it back and refit it, the engine will start
now, and it did!

The old gentleman has now sadly passed away, but, thankfully, I inherited
his "Remagnetiser" and have put it to consistent good use over the last
twenty or more years.

I wonder if your maggie need a zap to fully restore its magnetism? The
thing to remember is, in my experience at any rate, checking spark out from
a maggie can be deceptive, as, for example, on a quick "flip over" of the
maggie you may appear to be getting a good spark, it can be a different
thing altogether when you add up the combined factors of a relatively slow
maggie speed at crank over speeds of the engine, and the pressurised
environment of the combustion chamber.

Kindest regards

Barry Riseley
Tasmania