Re: The best Lotus (Was: Re: M100's Quote from SCI)

To: DWhitesdJr@aol.com
Subject: Re: The best Lotus (Was: Re: M100's Quote from SCI)
From: Mike Causer <mikec@dial.drakken.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 1999 01:15:58 +0100
DWhitesdJr@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 10/13/99 6:38:12 PM Central Daylight Time,
> mikec@dial.drakken.com writes:
>
> << Hmmm, you forget the S3.   Considered the best Elan by many many people
>  here. >>
> Maybe I can start the second round of the Tony wars with the S3 fans.  (Just
> kidding Tony.)
> The S3 has those ugly side-window frames. The S4 and Sprint have the same
> window frames (which ruin the lines of the car) but they also have slight
> wheel well flares,  permitting the use of wider and more modern rubber.  Hate
> to say it, but the S3 is, IMO, the worst of the Elans because of the
> window/body combination.  Why do people in the UK consider it the best?

Lighter and less complicated than the S4.  Much more sophisticated than the S2.

I do tend to like the frameless look of the S2, although memory of the one I
owned in the '70s suggests I got wet frequently :-(   But not as wet as I got
in my M100 Elan!!!!!!

> The 19 won the Daytona Continental, plus other major events on both sides of
> the pond.

Errr,  sorry, I cannot think of anything better than Goodwood "clubbies" at
the moment,

> I can't recall any overall wins in unlimited racing for the
> Eleven, although it did win the Biennial Cup and the Indexes of Performance
> and Thermal Efficiency at LeMans.

Well in the the 50's that was absolutely as good as you could get.   It was an
1100 sports car, which was a category almost unique to the UK, but it was
completely dominant for 3-4 years, and pretty certainly won more races during
that time than any Lotus before or since, in any category.

Mike