Re: The best Lotus (Was: Re: M100's Quote from SCI)

To: DWhitesdJr@aol.com
Subject: Re: The best Lotus (Was: Re: M100's Quote from SCI)
From: rodbean@earthlink.net
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1999 17:34:05 -0700
DWhitesdJr@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 10/13/99 1:08:42 PM Central Daylight Time,
> mikec@dial.drakken.com writes:
>
> <<   Most fun that I've driven is the Mark Six.  I think an Eleven would
>  feel much the same, and go a bit faster - >>
>
> The experience driving a Series Two Eleven LeMans compared to a Mark Six is
> almost as different as driving an original Elan and the M100.
>
> The Six had a fairly robust frame, and most originally had running gear which
> consisted of 35 horsepower Ford Side-valve engine, 3 speed box, cable brakes,
> 3" x 16" steel wheels, a torque tube and live rear axle and front swing axle.
>  Although a delight to drive, they were never close to being the fastest car
> on the track during their era (1953-56)
>
> The Series Two Eleven, on the other hand was one of the quickest cars of its
> time, even though it was a small displacement sportsracer. It had a minimal
> tube frame covered by a very advance aerodynamic body, a 100+ horsepower all
> alloy racing engine, wishbone front and DeDion rearend, all disc brakes, 4
> speed box and alloy wobblies. Even today, those cars will run at the front of
> a pre-sixties grid.
>
> Now to the best cars:
>
> Best road car:  Original Lotus Elan. Close call as to whether the Series Two
> or Sprint is better.  The Series Two looks better because of the side
> windows, but the Sprint was the ultimate development.
>
> Best Sportsracer:  Lotus 23B  (although the 19 was probably the most
> successful).
>
> Best Front-engined Sportsracer:  Lotus 15 (but boy is it expensive to buy and
> maintain)
>
> Best single seater:  Lotus 25, 33, 49, 72  and 78/9 are milestones, but I
> would pick the Lotus 29 mule with the symmetric suspension and  Collati 5
> speed.  Handling of the monocoque 25 and 33 with Ford V-8 power.  It is a
> shame there was no Formula Libre road race for the 29 Indy car at that time.
> It would have been a killer setup.
>
> David Whiteside
> Lotus VI, VIII, X, Eleven, 14, 17, 22, 30

David, this is a very informative and interesting assessment.  We're quite lucky
to have your first hand experience available.  Most of us (except Mike Causer,
who's driven at least a Six... maybe others too) can only try to visualize the
experience.

I've been lucky enough to have driven many sports cars and some variety of race
cars but I've always wondered about those that you mentioned.

>From my limited perspective (except my extensive Elan experience), I fully
>agree
with your choices and the reasoning.

Thank you.