Re: The best Lotus (Was: Re: M100's Quote from SCI)

To: "lotus list" <lotus-cars@lists.best.com>
Subject: Re: The best Lotus (Was: Re: M100's Quote from SCI)
From: "Betty and Michael Braun" <elan66@pathway.net>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1999 22:35:45 -0400

>In a message dated 10/13/99 6:38:12 PM Central Daylight Time,
>mikec@dial.drakken.com writes:
>
><< Hmmm, you forget the S3.   Considered the best Elan by many many people
> here. >>
>Maybe I can start the second round of the Tony wars with the S3 fans.
(Just
>kidding Tony.)
>The S3 has those ugly side-window frames. The S4 and Sprint have the same
>window frames (which ruin the lines of the car) but they also have slight
>wheel well flares,  permitting the use of wider and more modern rubber.
Hate
>to say it, but the S3 is, IMO, the worst of the Elans because of the
>window/body combination.  Why do people in the UK consider it the best?

Less weight than the S4, more refinement than the S1/2. And, if you have the
very stylish coupe version, the window frames are nicely integrated. ( No
bias here) ;)  I think it was Graham Arnold who called the S3 SE the best
because it had nearly the power of a Sprint, without (his words not mine!!)
spoiling the lines with flared wheel arches and boy racer go fast stripes.
 And for US buyers, no Stromberg motors or mandated bumper reflectors.

Mike Braun