Re: The best Lotus (Was: Re: M100's Quote from SCI)

To: DWhitesdJr@aol.com
Subject: Re: The best Lotus (Was: Re: M100's Quote from SCI)
From: Mike Causer <mikec@dial.drakken.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1999 23:48:48 +0100
DWhitesdJr@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 10/13/99 1:08:42 PM Central Daylight Time,
> mikec@dial.drakken.com writes:
>
> <<   Most fun that I've driven is the Mark Six.  I think an Eleven would
>  feel much the same, and go a bit faster - >>
>
> The experience driving a Series Two Eleven LeMans compared to a Mark Six is
> almost as different as driving an original Elan and the M100.
>
> The Six had a fairly robust frame, and most originally had running gear which
> consisted of 35 horsepower Ford Side-valve engine, 3 speed box, cable brakes,
> 3" x 16" steel wheels, a torque tube and live rear axle and front swing axle.
>  Although a delight to drive, they were never close to being the fastest car
> on the track during their era (1953-56)

Well I've never driven an 1172 Six, the only one I've used has a 1500
Consul engine giving around 105-110 bhp, and a BMC rear axle.  So, apart
from using swing axle front instead of the S2 Eleven's wishbones, I still
think they are pretty similar.   Of course, better brakes than the admittedly
hydraulic Ford drums on the Six would have helped a bit.   In UK sports car
racing they were the absolute bee's knees for a couple of years!

> The Series Two Eleven, on the other hand was one of the quickest cars of its
> time, even though it was a small displacement sportsracer. It had a minimal
> tube frame covered by a very advance aerodynamic body, a 100+ horsepower all
> alloy racing engine, wishbone front and DeDion rearend, all disc brakes, 4
> speed box and alloy wobblies. Even today, those cars will run at the front of
> a pre-sixties grid.

Unless there's a Lola there......

> Best road car:  Original Lotus Elan. Close call as to whether the Series Two
> or Sprint is better.  The Series Two looks better because of the side
> windows, but the Sprint was the ultimate development.

Hmmm, you forget the S3.   Considered the best Elan by many many people
here.

> Best Sportsracer:  Lotus 23B  (although the 19 was probably the most
> successful).

Nineteen????  In the USA maybe, but in race wins the 11 beats everything.

> Best Front-engined Sportsracer:  Lotus 15 (but boy is it expensive to buy and
> maintain)
>
> Best single seater:  Lotus 25, 33, 49, 72  and 78/9 are milestones, but I
> would pick the Lotus 29 mule with the symmetric suspension and  Collati 5
> speed.  Handling of the monocoque 25 and 33 with Ford V-8 power.  It is a
> shame there was no Formula Libre road race for the 29 Indy car at that time.
> It would have been a killer setup.

Jim Clark did do a couple of European hillclimbs with the 29 on symetric
suspension.   Formula Libre was a "run what ya brung" deal at the time, a
real hot-potch of stuff.  The 29's forte would have been F5000/FA, except
the powers that was hadn't thought up the idea at the time.

Hmmm,  I've done F. Libre in a 120 (maybe) bhp F3 GRD against 1.5litre
Turbo F1 cars -- 800+ bhp?  That was pretty frightening from the F3 point
of view, I don't know what the F1-would-be-heros thought of it...