The best Lotus (Was: Re: M100's Quote from SCI)

To: bengel <bengel@cisco.com>
Subject: The best Lotus (Was: Re: M100's Quote from SCI)
From: Mike Causer <mikec@dial.drakken.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1999 00:37:19 +0100
bengel wrote:

> the MK-X, Yugo the Yugo...So, now we have the omega, shall we start a new
> thread on what is the best Loti?

OK,  I'll bite.    The best Lotus, considered allround, as an everyday car, a
long trip car, a track car, is ....

  the  Excel.

Now owing to the fact that lots of the denizens of the Chapman-era list
have never seen one, I'd better explain that it's the '70s Eclat/Sprint
with a quiet, reliable drivetrain.     Oh, and it's a *lot* quicker on
the track than it looks ;-)

So what's the best Lotus, not considered allround, but as a single-minded
everyday car...

   Ya'all ain't gonna like this

it's probably the M100 Elan.

OK,  enough of shopping trollies,  what's the best Lotus Long trip car?

  Excel again, but I'd sure like to try a V8 Esprit on a trip to the
south of Italy.....

Bah!   Road cars!   Who cares?  What's the best Lotus race car?

   Most fun that I've driven is the Mark Six.  I think an Eleven would
feel much the same, and go a bit faster -- not to mention look gorgeous
too.   But in reality, the best racing Lotus is the one that wins most
races, it doesn't matter a damn whether it feels good to drive.   So for
Grand Prix cars that's the 72 I believe, and for sports cars I think we
have the Eleven again.

So the ideal stable of Lotuses is an Excel, an Eleven and a 72.   Well,
I've got the first of those, I could put an Eleven body on my Mark Six,
anyone got a cheap 72 going?

Mike