Re: exhaust gases inside with top up.

To: datsun-roadsters-digest@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: exhaust gases inside with top up.
From: MMccaf8697@aol.com
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 1999 22:32:38 EST
I am a relatively new roadster enthusiast, however, I've spoken z cars for a
long time.
On my roadster, exhaust gases seem to be entering the cockpit the the top up.
 I've taken the car to various exhaust system shops for diagnosis, and at
present, no leaks are found.  I've noticed a lot of dust accumulation on the
rear wheel wheels and side panels, partially because we drive to and from our
home on a very dusty road.
The weatherstripping a the trunk lid is in good condition. Also, some rubber
plugs are missing at the drain holes in the lower part of the trunk behind
each rear wheel. Is the roadster susceptable to a vacuum effect similar to
the z-cars in which exhaust gases can be "sucked" in from the rear?  I need
to take care of this soon.  Ostensibly, I've been preparing the car for my
finance to enjoy, but at this point we both reek of exhaust in our clothes
and even I can't fully enjoy the car.
Side note/another thought: the car is an early 67 transplanted with the U-20
and 5-speed, however, I haven't noticed if there is a crankase ventilation
system like the later L series motors.  Any thoughts?
Mark McCafferty