Re: exhaust gases inside with top up.

To: <MMccaf8697@aol.com>, <datsun-roadsters-digest@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: exhaust gases inside with top up.
From: "jerry gallagher" <jdg1@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 1999 18:16:47 -0800
Mark,

I have a similar problem with my '69 2000.  Since my roadster really doesn't
go outside if it is raining it hasn't been too much of a problem.   Living
close to Seattle and not driving in the rain probably explains why I only
put 1000 miles per on the roadster.

You mentioned your roadster had a transplanted U-20 engine -- does the
exhaust manifold slip onto the exhaust system or is there a three bolt
flange?  I think my problem is caused be the previous owner breaking one of
the exhaust manifold studs and not getting the replacement aligned
correctly.  My exhaust system is stock -- I replaced everything except the
exhaust manifold with new Nissan parts.  You may also want to check the
"ball" on the end of the exhaust pipe that mates with the exhaust
manifold -- sometimes these are deformed by people trying to align the
engine by prying on the exhaust pipe.  I have had two '69 2000's and they
both leaked at the exhaust manifold flange.  Check the condition of the
flange and make sure the bolts are tight.

One rather odd feature of my exhaust leak is that it is most noticeable on
deceleration rather than acceleration.  Additionally the smell is more like
oil than exhaust.

My solution has been to leave the top down or if the top is up to leave the
fresh air vents open.

Good luck

Jerry

'69 2000