Re: Heater Questions

To: Robert.Long@CSDInc.com
Subject: Re: Heater Questions
From: Gary McCormick <svgkm@halley.ca.essd.northgrum.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 1999 10:09:46 -0800
Robert-

Well, you almost got it right... it's engine coolant that circulates through
the heat
exchanger/mini rad unit. It's already hot (as long as the engine is warmed up),
the fan
blows air across the heater, picking up heat from the engine coolant and
warming the cab.

Incidentally, the extra engine cooling capacity of a cabin heater spared me a
boil-over
once in my PL521 ('70 Datsun truck) going over Pacheco Pass, a pretty heavy
climb (in
Central California, crossing from the Central Valley to the Santa Clara
Valley/South SF
Bay region). I opened the heater valve full open and turned the fan up to high
speed. Got
beastly hot in the cab (it was 90+ deg. out), even with the windows open, but
it got me to
a service station under my own power, instead of on the hook...

Gary McCormick
San Jose, CA