Time of year -SMOG check

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Time of year -SMOG check
From: "J Friederich" <jfried@anv.net>
Date: Sun, 26 Dec 1999 16:16:36 -0800
Well,

It's that time of year (registration renewal, smog check required!).  Yes,
even on the '69 a smog is required in Las Vegas.  It passes the high rpm
(not very high), but fails miserably on the HC at idle.  I imagine this has
something to do with the air pump long ago removed, as well as the Solex
carbs & cam.  Last year I got it to pass by manning the drivers seat for the
test and feathering the clutch with the car in gear and the passenger brake
on (a trick taught by, well, I can't remember) but this year they allow no
such tricks.

Actually, I wonder how much this has to do with the cam?  It would be fairly
easy to change that with a 'stock' cam just for the smog check.

I suppose I could also retard the timing, and fill with low octane (lower
ignition temp?) gasoline as well.  Any other tips before I panic?  Maybe
richen the idle mixture (lean is harder to ignite?)  Thanks...

-John F.
'69 2000, Solex