Re: Time of year -SMOG check

To: "J Friederich" <jfried@anv.net>,
Subject: Re: Time of year -SMOG check
From: Ronnie Day <ronday@home.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Dec 1999 18:39:52 -0600
>I suppose I could also retard the timing, and fill with low octane (lower
>ignition temp?) gasoline as well.  Any other tips before I panic?  Maybe
>richen the idle mixture (lean is harder to ignite?)  Thanks...

Hi John,

Happy Holidays (to everyone). I would think that richening the idle
mixture would increase HC emissions. I've heard folks talk about leaning
out their idle mixtures to the point that the car will hardly run.
Remember the short term goal is to get through the test. How about it
Dennis, Les, Marc?

Depending on what RPM they use for the test you may be into the main
circuit quite a bit anyway. At least with the Solex's (Weber's, too?) you
ought to be able to set the carbs up along with timing to get through the
test. It's a pain, not to mention a bit expensive, to have to come up
with a separate set of jets (do the Solex's use emulsion tubes, too,
like Webers?) just to pass, but it ought to be easier than with other
carb set ups.

Right now the older cars are smog exempt here, but at the rate folks are
moving in the D/FW area (would you believe 5 MILLION, give or take?) the
powers that be are looking at all sorts of ways to "reduce vehicular
emissions". I wouldn't be at all surprised to see smog testing reinstated
in the future. Their first step is going to be to lower the speed limits
on the area freeways back to 60 MPH. I've gotta a life size picture of
that having any effect. Average speed around here is easily in the 80 MPH
plus range.

Enough soapbox. I would like to know what you wind up doing and what
numbers result.

Good luck, Ron

Ronnie Day
ronday@home.com