Opening him up

To: "'datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net'" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Opening him up
From: Andrew Murphy <andrew.murphy@integtech.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2000 08:10:14 -0800
Hey list,

As one of the more non-technical owners, I was intrigued by Alan's query
about his "topping out" at 4000 RPMs and about 80 mph. When I had my 67.5
1600, I topped out at about 88 MPH at about 4800 RPMS although I am sure the
tech guys will tell you the R-16 can go faster.

Which brings me to my 67.5 Solex 2000. I often have heard Vic Laury talk
about running it up to 5000 RPM in fifth gear and he equates that to about
105-110 MPH. Vic has SUs in his car. Now on my long road trip, I was out on
I-5 between Bakersfield and Sacramento. If you have ever driven that
stretch, it is long and boring. So I amused myself by opening him up. (A
note about "Him" later)

Now the Solex setup I have on my car does make for good "off the line"
performance. Yet after I floored the accelarator, I found that I hit my max
at about 5500-5700 RPMs and got it up to between 120-125 MPH. Quite fun and
a little scary, but I was all alone out there so I felt pretty safe. Now
obviously the gearing has a lot to do with it as I can rev the car to 7000
pretty quickly in the low gears or at idle (Duh).

So although we have had several threads about top end performance, who has
the math about the throttle/carbs/gearing ratio? If Alan is "topping out" at
4000 RPM and myself at 5500-5700 RPMS, what could we do to improve this?

Just curious and preparing to keep up with Victor on future SoCalROC runs,

Andrew Murphy
67.5 2000 Solex

P.S. I refer to my car as "him" because he has been dubbed "Hiro" by my
mother. A great homonym!