RE: Opening him up

To: "'datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net'" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Opening him up
From: "Laury, Victor" <LauryV@MTA.NET>
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2000 15:36:59 -0800
Andrew and list

As Others have said, Your solex equipped U20 will absolutely stomp my butt
cause I (SU's) don't have Oomph above 6 grand. If you bring your shift
points up to 6.5K (or more!) I will be so smoked! But operating at 3.5 to
5.5 range, I'll out pull you. That's the ticket with Solex's, they scream in
the higher rpm range. Forget about top speed in fifth, that's just parlor
tricks. On a road circuit, Fifth gear would be useless, unless there is a
LONG straight. On a tight course, (in your street car) you'd top out third
by the time you need to drag down for the turn. that's when the gearing
tricks really pay off - 5.something rear gear and ultra close boxes and a
race prepared solex car will just hover in the 6 - 8 grand range and f'n
fly!

As far as our road driving, I'll admit it, I like to GO! And my SU's fill
this requirement nicely. I drive to the limit of KOOKINESS (sometimes a
touch more) for public road! As a citizen I don't endorse this kind of
behavior. How much faster than kooky do you want to go. Forget about your
timing chains, worry more about the traffic that you may encounter!  On a
windy, back country, typical California, custom made roadster road, fifth
gear is not an option. Second, third and fourth gets used to extreme
measures and then some.

I do look envious and all those solex gizmos, But I don't really think I
need them. Heck, Drive with me sometime and change my mind!

Victor A. Laury
Environmental Inspector
Los Angeles County Metropolitan Transportation Authority
Quality Assurance Department
Environmental Compliance Management
(213) 922-5795                                         <NEW NUMBER!
(213) 922-5142 Fax                                  <NEW NUMBER!
900 Lyon Street                                        <NEW ADDRESS!
30-2-1
Los Angeles, CA 90012-2952