Bike speedometers in the roadster

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Bike speedometers in the roadster
From: Daniel Neuman <dneuman@stars.sfsu.edu>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 16:37:57 -0700 (PDT)
Hello All,

        Don't know if my post about putting a bike speedometer in a car
went thru the other day but here is what I found out.
        Me being sick of not knowing exactly how fast I was going or what time
it is.  110 indicated MPH is a little bit ridiculous.  For a long time MC
riders have been using wired bike comp. to tell them the speed. (and time)
        I went by a bike shop yesterday and looked at the selection.  I ahve
a specialized wireless on my bicycle and really like it. But I know that you
can not use wireless on a MC or car (too much interference). There are a lot
of models some expensive +50 bucks with lots of features that you don't
need on a car.. heart monitor, cadence, etc. The best, and cheapest models are
made by a company called Sigma.  I bought two of there low end models.  It
indicates speed up to 184MPH with an accuracy of .1 MPH.  It has a tripmeter
and a clock..Its a small black rounded rectangle about 2 by 1.5 inches.. It
only cost 12.99.
        It measures speed by sensing the field of a magnet that you attach to
a wheel. You program in your circumfrence and it calculates the speed from
there. So, I guess as long as your circumfrence does not change much the
reading will be accurate.
        Now I jsut gotta find a place to mount it. The tolerances between the
magnet and the sender are very small. ~5mm.  I need to mount it somewhere
where that can happen and somewhere that will not get very hot. Any
suggestions??  I will have to lengthen the wire from the sender to the
computer  but hopefully enough signal will get thru.
                Daniel 69 2000