Re: OT Drilling into cement part 2

To: Daniel Neuman <dneuman@quark.sfsu.edu>
Subject: Re: OT Drilling into cement part 2
From: The Dread Pirate Roberts <svgkm@halley.ca.essd.northgrum.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 11:29:25 -0800
See embedded comments, below.

Gary McCormick
San Jose, CA

Daniel Neuman wrote:

> > Hello All,
> >       Please forgive the off topic question (again).
> > So I borrowed my friends big beefy 1/2" electirc drill-unfortunatley it is
> > not a hammer drill.
> >       I am drilling into the cement in my garage floor and one hole goes
> > great.  The other two go about halfway and jsut stop.  I am leaning on the
> > drill and things are getting hot and I'm leaning and leaning on it and
> > nothing... I clean out the hole and look inside and maybe I think I can
> > see a rock that I am trying to drill thru.  Is this normal for drilling into
> > cement??

Yes.

> Is this why I need a hammer drill??

Yes, again.

> Can I get thru these impediments
> > or do I just have to give up and move  my bender stand???

You can get a star drill - looks like a chisel but with two chisel points at
right angle
on the business end (+). This you put in the hole and smack w/a BIG hammer,
turning it a
quarter turn between smacks. Lo-tech, lo-cost and puts fingers at risk. Been
there, done
that  I recommend renting a hammer drill.