Re: OT Drilling into cement part 2

To: Daniel Neuman <dneuman@quark.sfsu.edu>
Subject: Re: OT Drilling into cement part 2
From: Michael Poorboy <bitterrootprop@nidlink.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 11:54:27 -0800
Daniel,
I am not sure of what part of renting a hammer drill you missed :-)

It is not normal hitting aggregate when drilling into cement , but when
you are drilling into concrete you will find aggregate (rocks). Might
even find rebar if the contractor actually put some in the floor.

I always thought leaning on the drill really added to it being able to
do its job better .... Not !!   Good way to ruin one. I tried this on my
chain saws when the chains get dull. I start moving the chain saw back
and forth to help me cut through the wood. Much faster and easier
to just put a sharp chain.

All you really need is the correct drill and bit to drill through concrete.
I spent 10 years in the construction inspection field and have been there
done that with concrete structures. Spent alot of time after the Northridge
earth quake doing hold down installation inspection. Seems some contractors
figure it was okay to put in hold down bolts but not put the washers and nuts
on them before closing up the walls. I inspected a three story medical building
that was lifted completely of its foundation and moved 8" to the side.

Mike
Nowroc
Freezing my BU## off . 15 degrees with 30 MPH wind out side
Hayden, ID