RE: Weird electrical short burned throttle cable

To: "Alex Avery" <aavery@rica.net>,
Subject: RE: Weird electrical short burned throttle cable
From: "Brian Hollands" <bholland@hayes.ds.adp.com>
Date: Thu, 3 May 2001 13:28:03 -0400
Your problem may be what you've said below.  The battery should ground
(through the negative cable) to the block, not the frame.  Remember that
when you start the car you're putting a lot of amperage to the starter,
which grounds to the frame.  When it's running the alternator, which is
grounded to the block as well, is producing current.  From there what Victor
said is correct.  There are three smaller ground wires (10 or 12 gauge).
Two on the passenger side (LHD) of the engine block, one of which goes to
the frame, the other to the body at the voltage regulator.  The third goes
from the starter motor to the frame.
Make sure that the bolts that secure these are not rusty - you may need to
chase the threads on the frame.
How 'bout some dielectric grease - should we start that one up again? NO!
Also I agree that it is better to solder the eyes onto the ground wires
rather than crimp them.  I have had crimped ones pull out in the past.
Better fix that engine mount!
Finally, remember that the stock alternator can fuse the ammeter and melt
the big White/Red - you don't need a high output alt. To get the choke or
throttle cables hot.
Brian

Brian Hollands
Client Operations Analyst