Re: AUDIO GEAR

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: AUDIO GEAR
From: "Doctor Evil" <doctor_evil@fastmail.ca>
Date: Fri, 4 May 2001 19:38:49 -0400 (EDT)
Speaking of stereos, I just put one in.  I used my Sony CDX-4750 out
of my other car, and mounted it in the trunk (put 1.5" bolts through
the package strap holes, and in the trunk I mounted a sheet of
aluminum to these bolts.  Head unit is mounted to this aluminum
plate.)

For speakers, I custom fabricated some kick panel speakers out of
fibreglass (a la Q-logic) and had them carpeted at an upholstery
shop. (The generic Q-logic's are $300 up here in Canada).  Custom
making them was pretty cheap, and a lot of fun (and no I don't work
with fibreglass all day, this was my first attempt)

Anyhow, I put a wired remote control in the ashtray spot (don't
smoke), and it looks pretty good.  Being that I've got a 67 2000, I
didn't want to cut anything, and so the only modification that I made
was to drill 3 small holes on each side to mount the kick panels)

Took it for a tear, and no skipping, even with a vertical mount in
the trunk, and comp suspension.  But no dirt roads to really check it
out.  Only problem is that there is no display in the car, so you
have to know the head unit controls, and I have to stop the car to
change discs.  Oh well, small loss, and a lot better for security
that mounting it in the glovebox or dash.

I'm going out to take some pictures now, and I will post them in a
few days - someone let me know where the best spot to post them is
(since photopoint is becoming an issue)

Dave

     http://fastmail.ca/ - Fast Free Web Email for Canadians