Re: AUDIO GEAR

To: "Doctor Evil" <doctor_evil@fastmail.ca>,
Subject: Re: AUDIO GEAR
From: Ronnie Day <ronday@home.com>
Date: Fri, 4 May 2001 19:23:50 -0500
>Took it for a tear, and no skipping, even with a vertical mount in
>the trunk, and comp suspension.  But no dirt roads to really check it
>out.  Only problem is that there is no display in the car, so you
>have to know the head unit controls, and I have to stop the car to
>change discs.  Oh well, small loss, and a lot better for security
>that mounting it in the glovebox or dash.

Marc and I have been hashing over how to do this for a couple of weeks.
Dave, it sounds like you mounted the unit without floating it. I figure
if Marc needs to we could fab double spring mounts, basically using long
bolts and then springs and washers on either side of the mount. Put a
nyloc nut on top of the bolt and you could even adjust the spring
tension. Is this going too far? I don't know, but we can try a solid
mount first, get fancy later if need be.

I haven't looked, but are there not head/control units with detachable
faces and extenders cables? A couple of my ham radio mobile units offer
this option and it's very handy. I silicone a strip of velcro hooks on
the bottom of the display and pieces of the velcro loops in several
places on the dash or console. Works great. I use the same idea for the
mics and have my radar detector set up that way, too. Really simplifies
moving the radios and detector between cars, too.

Anyway, I'd think there are bound to be some audio units with this
option. Anyone know specifically?

Thanks, Ron

The ACL Group
Arlington, Texas