Re: Alternnator Part II

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Alternnator Part II
From: jon_wissler@pngc.com
Date: Sat, 19 May 2001 21:37:48 -0700
     Thanks for all the advice sports fans.  The 66 amp GM/Delco alternator
is now successfully installed in my 69 2000 in the stock drivers side
position.  It even fires up and appears to be charging.  Thats the good
news.  The bad news is that I had to pull the radiator and all the hoses,
and the windshield washer reservoir.  Of course I kept taking all that off
one part at a time thinking the NEXT one would actually allow me to fit the
$%^&%# alt past the shroud, then reservoir, then the radiator hose, then
another hose........   Anyway, it's in and everything actually lines up
perfect.  The problem is that the GM unit is bigger, and runs into the
block one way, and the steering rod the other way.  There is only about 3/4
inch of adjustment and the stock belt is a hair too small.  I got two
different belts, with one supposedly the next size bigger.  Now it's TOO
big.  In order to get it tight enough to hold, I ended up tight against the
steering column, and it rubs, especially with power on.  Plus the whole
thing sounds like it's making a whining noise, which gets louder when I
turn the lights on.  I just hooked up the hot wire, unplugged the voltage
regulator, and didn't hook up a ground.  Plus I'm not fused.  The ammeter
reads about 5+ at the gauge.  Tomorrow is "Belt Hunt", starring yours
truly.  Am I set up to fry my entire electrical system?  I know a lot of
you have mentioned the wisdom of the fuseable link.  Is that anything more
than a fuse in line coming off the alternator?  If I put a 30 amp fuse in
to protect the wiring, haven't I defeated the purpose of going to 66 amps?
Will the Beavers win the National Championship Rose Bowl next year?